The Número de Identificación Extranjero (NIE) is essential if you are staying in Spain for work. It is used for official documents like the ones necessary to open a bank account. If you are well prepared, it will be easier to get it – we try to help you with it. 

How do I get the NIE?

  • If you are staying less than three months in Spain, you can make an appointment directly with the Spanish Consulate in your country. But be careful, getting an appointment can take a long time. Don’t forget to take a proof of address with you!
  • If you are staying more than three months, you need to get an appointment in Spain, in the Comunidad you are staying in. We recommend you to do it before leaving your country because appointments can be difficult to get! You will also need to go to a bank before your appointment at the Police Station to pay the fee of €9.64. Remember to bring your file, the bank will stamp the form to prove that the payment has been made. 

In both cases, you need to fill in the EX-15 certificate online, to have your I.D and a photocopy of it, to print the 790 model, and to pay the tax in cash or by cheque to the Spanish Consulate. In addition to that, if you are employed in Spain, you must bring either:

  • An employment contract or
  • A document proving your registration with the Spanish social security system as a worker.

If you are self-employed in Spain:

  • Bring a document proving your registration with the Spanish social security system as a self-employed person.

If you are retired in Spain:

  • Bring proof that you have Spanish or foreign health insurance covering the scope of Spanish health insurance.

Up to the age of 14, the NIE is not mandatory. However, some administrations, such as the Spanish Social Security, may require it. You must bring the family record book and your I.D. 

If you are not from the European Union, you also need to bring your passport with a photocopy of all the pages, as well as proof of legal entry into Spain (e.g. a disembarkation card, known in Spanish as declaración de entrada, título de viaje or cédula de inscripción). 

Do you have any other questions about the NIE or staying in Spain as an ex-pat? We will answer in the comment and create other posts to help you on your beautiful journey!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>